Skip to main content
Objectives and Scope of Activities. The National Advisory Committee on Coal provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary of Energy on general policy matters relating to coal, coal workers, and coal communities. The Committee activities include:
- Federal policy that affects, directly or indirectly, the production and use of coal;
- Plans, priorities and strategies to address more effectively the technological, regulatory and social impact of issues relating to coal production and use;
- The appropriate balance between various elements of Federal coal-related programs;
- Scientific and engineering aspects of coal technologies, including coal and coal waste conversion, utilization, environmental control, and remediation concepts; and
- Understanding economic and environmental impacts, and potential mitigation measures, in communities impacted by coal mines, coal-fired electricity generation, and coal fired industrial plants.